Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mission to Haiti


When I went to Haiti by myself in the past I looked forward to the company of others on a future trip. It is already apparent how the interests, energy and gifts of a group will make this trip different. I knew Shirley Moliter’s nursing background would help with improving the health of people in our sister parish in Laborde. She has been collecting some basic products for health and first aid to take with us. When she heard of the recent cholera outbreak since the earthquake she became interested in building a well in Laborde to provide them with safe drinking water. I thought: Ok, nice idea, but big project. But she has already worked at making the idea a reality by talking to a few potential donors to the project. We now have another goal to work on during our trip.

I know Jim White has been interested in Haiti and making a visit there for a long time. His sense of charity and experience will be a great asset. So will his daughter, Maureen. It will be good to have a young adult with us. Maureen plans to use her journalism talents to report about our trip while we’re there via this blog.

I appreciate the leap of faith of these three to step out of their comfort zone and commit to this trip. I’m sure I will have some surprises with what has changed since my 2 trips to Haiti. The earthquake has changed roads, buildings, and the relocation of people. There will be improvements in the parish that started as dreams on my last trip. But the first time you go to Haiti it challenges many of your views and assumptions. Coming face to face with the people and reality of their conditions so close to the United States but so different can be life changing.

So far our group has met twice to discuss vaccinations, mosquito nets, street smarts, itineraries… to prepare. It will be great to have different perspectives of our sister parish to share on our return.

Your prayers for a fruitful trip are appreciated. Donations to fund the trip can be made out to St. Lawrence Haiti Mission.


Sincerely,
Deacon Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment